The work assignment was assigned to OPEX department by Power Transmission and Distribution–Middle-East top management to develop new strategies in project execution to reduce project completion time by at least 26weeks from the current state and also to optimise material cost by 5 – 10%. This will help the organisation to capture larger international market share in power construction.
CE2.2.4 PT&D Middle-East business head wanted to position L&T Company in front of the client as EPC contractor with high potential and extra caliber to complete 10 substation projects in a year. Initially, L&T used to construct 7- 8 substation per year. Further, to achieve the target of 10 substations to be completed per year and also to take high volume projects in future, PT&D Middle-East head, had invited operational excellence department to work on following parameters:
Streamline entire engineering process flow to Reduce project delivery timeline by 26weeks and
Minimize project consumable material cost by 5 to 10%
I was selected by Operational Excellence department head to lead this program based on my in-depth knowledge of power transmission and distribution construction. Major expectations were:
To Increase PT&D business revenue and
To improve the business profitability
CE2.2.5 My project tasks were as stated below:
· Led and managed operational excellence assignment to streamline entire engineering/business process.
· Leveraged lean methodology combined with the problem – solving tools as a key strategy to deliver cost and responsiveness goals.
· Assessed current state of business process efficiency & performance and identified improvements opportunities.
· Formulated business cases and charters and established financial and non-financial goals.
· Conducted idea generation workshop with cross-functional departments to generate solutions.
· Managed people and team to deliver top management expectation.
· Implemented mechanization initiatives by investing in CapEx items.
· Analyzed and scrutinized “As-Is” productivity data for civil structure construction, electrical and HVAC equipment installation and MEP works.
· Improved business working capital requirements by restructuring Design, SCM, execution and inventory policies.
· Organized war room concept at project site office where the cross-functional team gathers to solve critical problems.
· Prepared project plan and budget to complete Opex assignment.
· Contacted multiple vendors to organize an on-site demonstration of advanced tools and techniques.
· Organized workshop to coach project team on new initiatives.
· Established relationship with external consultants and industry experts to keep track on new advanced technologies
· Developed proprietary knowledge material on Turnkey execution excellence to strengthen firm’s competitive positioning