1. SPRING CHICKEN AND BARLEY SOUP:Ingredients: · 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil; · Half cup onion, finely chopped;· Half cup celery, finely chopped;· 2 cloves of garlic;· 6 cups of chicken broth;· 1 whole chicken, deskinned and trimmed;· Half a cup of barley;· A can of diced tomato;· 1 cup sliced asparagus;· 1 cup peas;· Half teaspoon salt, or to taste;· Black pepper powder to taste;· Half cup basil leaves or tulsi leaves;· 1 tablespoon orange zest.Procedure:· Start off by heating oil in a large cooking vessel, preferably a saucepan. Add the onion and celery first and let them start cooking.
Stir and toss well until both become soft. Take one of the cloves of garlic and grate it over the mixture in the saucepan and mix well. After about a minute, add the chicken broth, pieces of chicken and barley. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the vessel. Cook until the chicken cooks all the way through. · Now, pick out all the chicken pieces and set them aside on a plate.
Let the barley continue to cook in the broth. · While the grain cooks, shred the chicken and discard all the bones.· Once the barley has also cooked add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, asparagus, peas and season it with salt and pepper. Cover this and let it cook on low heat until the asparagus becomes tender and has cooked. · Chop the remaining garlic clove and basil together, finely. Once the soup is ready, serve it in bowls topped with the chopped-up garlic and basil, and orange zest.
2. CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH PIMENTO CHEESE:Ingredients:· Half cup shredded smoked gouda cheese;· 2 tablespoons of chopped scallion;· 1 tablespoon of chopped pimientos;· 1 teaspoon paprika;· 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts;· Half a teaspoon salt, or to taste;· Half a teaspoon freshly ground pepper;· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.Procedure:· Preheat the oven to 200°C; · While the oven preheats, combine the cheese, scallion, pimientos and half teaspoon paprika in a small bowl;· Make a horizontal cut along the edge of the chicken breasts and open them up. Season the insides of the chicken with some salt and pepper and pack the cheese filling into them generously. Make sure that the filling is mainly in the centre of the chicken. Press the edges together to seal the breasts over the filling and sprinkle some more salt, paprika, and pepper on top. · Heat some olive oil in a skillet and place the chicken on it. Cook until one of the sides has browned.
Now transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the chicken cooks. This should take about 10 minutes, but the timing may vary according to how you want your meat to cook. · Once cooked, serve hot.
3. AUTUMN CHICKEN STEW:Ingredients:· 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil;· Half kilo chicken tenders, cut into small pieces; · 1 chopped onion· 4 peeled and chopped parsnips;· 2 peeled and chopped carrots;· Freshly chopped rosemary;· Salt to taste;· Quarter teaspoon freshly grounded black pepper;· 4 cups of chicken broth;· 2 peeled and chopped apples;· 2 teaspoons of cider vinegar. Procedure:· Firstly, heat 2 teaspoons oil and add chicken and cook it while stirring constantly.
It will take only 5-6 minutes to cook through. Transfer the pieces to a plate once done;· To the same pot, add the remaining oil, and throw in the onions, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook all this until the vegetables begin to soften.
Now, add the chicken broth and the apples and bring to a simmer over low heat. Keep it on low heat and let it cook until all the vegetables completely soften. Finally, put the chicken and stir in the vinegar. · Since it’s a stew, it will taste better if stored for a couple of days before serving.
4. PARMESAN-CRUSTED CHICKEN TENDERS:Ingredients:· Olive oil cooking spray;· Quarter cup flour (maida);· 2 large eggs· Half cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese; · 1 cup dry breadcrumbs;· Half kilo chicken tenders;· Italian seasoning to taste;· 1 teaspoon garlic powder;· Quarter teaspoon salt, or to taste;· 1 cup heated marinara sauce.Procedure:· Preheat oven to 200°C. Place a large wire rack on the baking tray and use the cooking spray on it generously;· Set 3 bowls: 1 with flour, the other with the parmesan and breadcrumbs, mixed, and the last one with beaten eggs. · Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder onto the tenders and mix well.
Coat each tender in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs. Make sure to shake off or drip off extra coating at every step. Place these coated tenders on the wire rack and spray the cooking spray or simply brush some olive oil on top gently. · Bake for 10 minutes. Then turn all the tenders over and coat with olive oil. Bake until tenders have become crispy on the outside. 5.
SPICY CHICKEN LETTUCE CUPS:Ingredients:· 2 cups cider vinegar;· 1 cup water;· Half cup sugar;· 2 tablespoons sliced chillies;· 1 tablespoon salt;· 1 small crushed garlic clove;· 1 cup matchstick-cut carrot; · 1 1/2 cups of cooked, shredded, skinless, boneless chicken breast;· 1 1/2 cups of cooked, shredded, skinless, boneless chicken thigh or drumstick;· 12 butter lettuce leaves;· 24 cucumber slices;· 6 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts, chopped;· 1/4 cup torn fresh mint.Procedure:· Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes. · Remove from the heat. Add shredded chicken to carrot mixture and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
Then, drain the extra water. · Place about 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each lettuce leaf, and top each lettuce leaf with 2 cucumber slices, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts, and 1 teaspoon mint. 6. CHICKEN-CORN TWO-WAY TOSTADA:Ingredients:· 1 whole-grain corn tortilla; · 200 grams of cooked, shredded, skinless chicken breast;· 1/4 cup pickled onions;· 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels;· 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice.Procedure:· Bake tortilla on oven rack at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Top with chicken, pickled onions, corn, and lime juice. 7.
CREAMY BLUEBERRY CHICKEN SALAD:Ingredients:· 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion· 1/3 cup diced celery· 1/4 cup torn fresh basil· 3 cups of cooked, shredded, skinless chicken breast· 1/2 teaspoon salt· 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt· 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice· 1 tablespoon honey· 2 cups fresh blueberries· 1 package baby arugula· 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepperProcedure:· Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. · Combine yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and honey in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture to chicken mixture; toss to coat. Gently stir in blueberries. · Place arugula, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a bowl; toss to coat. Divide arugula mixture evenly among 6 plates; top each serving with about 3/4 cup chicken mixture. 8.
CHICKEN SKEWERS WITH MINT SAUCE:Ingredients:· 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice· 1 teaspoon olive oil· 1/2 teaspoon salt· 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper· 1/4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns· 2 garlic cloves, minced· Half kilo skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into pieces· Cooking sprayProcedure:· To prepare the chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add the chicken; seal and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes turning bag occasionally. · Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.
· Prepare to grill the pieces of marinated chicken.· Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Place these skewers on the grill rack coated with cooking spray. · Grill for about 8 minutes or until chicken is done while turning frequently.
· Serve with a fresh mint chutney. 9. CHICKEN TANDOORI:Ingredients:· 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion· 1 teaspoon peeled and coarsely chopped fresh ginger· 2 peeled garlic cloves· 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice· 1 teaspoon paprika· 1 teaspoon ground cumin· 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds· 1/2 teaspoon salt· 1/2 teaspoon chili powder· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper· Dash of ground nutmeg· 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves· Cooking sprayProcedure:· Place the first 3 ingredients in a food processor and keep grinding until finely chopped.
Add the yogurt and the next 8 ingredients (till nutmeg). Grind it until all of it blends well.· Make 3 diagonal cuts 1/4 inch deep across top of each chicken breast half.
Combine chicken and yogurt mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.· Prepare the grill or broiler.· Remove the chicken breast from the bag and discard marinade.
Place the chicken on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Cook for 6 minutes on each side or until the chicken is done.10. CHINESE-STYLE GLAZED CHICKEN BREAST:Ingredients:· 1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth, preferably fat free· 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce· 1 tablespoon apricot preserves or any other fruit spread· 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves· 1/2 teaspoon salt· 1/8 teaspoon black pepper· 1 tablespoon vegetable oilProcedure:· Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl and set the bowl aside.· Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap. Now beat the chicken with a rolling pin until it becomes a little thin. · Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken and sauté for 3 minutes on each side. · Once done, remove the chicken from the pan. Reduce the heat and carefully stir in the broth mixture. Now, return the chicken to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until done, turning to coat.